Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Mashing Granny

No, I am NOT going to attack your grandmother. Granny, in bicycle parlance refers to the lowest gear used for climbing in extremely difficult situations. Mashing, refers to pedaling extremely hard when you cannot keep up Rapid Spin. Today's photo shows Jamie coming down a little piece of the road we were on and much of it was very difficult climbing, and I found myself mashing granny for a big chunk of the day. It was a gorgeous day, cool - wow we were climbing.  We were above 10,000 feet 3 times today.

3 comments:

  1. Paul, Pretty sure this pic is that short steep decline coming off of Polvedara Ridge just before the road cuts sharp to the right.......and it's where I crashed hard into that huge rut on the left in the picture last year, thanks to that world famous ridiculously slippery New Mexico mud!! That crash hurt!
    Be sure to get a burrito at Bode's in Abiquiu.....they're dang tasty! Great job Paul, you've completed the worst section of trail/road.....it gets better from Abiquiu north.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank the stars for Granny Gear! Go Granny Go! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can divide your pictures evenly into two groups: the ones that make me wish I were there, and the ones that make me glad I'm not. But I'm not sure which category this one falls into...

    ReplyDelete