Monday, July 13, 2015

Chasing Jamie

Sometimes, when we have a stretch of open road, like we did today, a fella just has to "let it run" so to speak.  This is when I get to play a little game I call "chasing Jamie"....

To be clear, Jamie is definitely the fastest of the three of us.  He has a little racing background, and for a "smallish" 140 lb guy,  has an enormous motor.  Sometimes I can get "on his wheel" for a bit.....today for maybe 5-6 miles, then we come to a hill and he slowly creeps away.  Now I'm "chasing Jamie".....just trying to keep him in sight.  I hammer up a hill, thinking to myself. ....I'm not losing ground, but then alas, the gap widens!  This is great training for me, and I love it.  Just wait!  I'll show him tomorrow! !

To be sure, I feel stronger day by day, and may be in the best cycling form ever.....for me.  That said, Amigo number 3, Garry, has shown the biggest gains since we started.  He is a few years older than Jamie or me, and had a horrible start with near heat stroke and a big time bonk.  Since then his gains in speed and endurance have been nothing short of phenomenal.

All in all, a great ride. We spend tonight at the ladder ranch, where we just put away a phenomenal farm dinner.   Onward to Wyoming tomorrow. ...   very exciting.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you got to enjoy Ladder Ranch!!.....I loved my stop there....and that ranch hand dinner!! Did you stop at the little Columbine store??
    Looks like the race......and you guys I assume, are rerouted around the Medicine Bow mts and Rawlins.....you'll miss Aspen Alley, but it was all mowed down anyway except for maybe a quarter mile, oh well.......great work Paul.....you guys are really moving along and I'm enjoying following along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be on lookout for El Chapo, said to be heading norte. Comin' after Trump but not unwilling to blast practice gringo butt on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul! Not fair to mention a great meal without a pic!

    ReplyDelete